Komodo; the 2021 story: this article looks at AtomicDEX growth stats and release highlights as well as ecosystem milestones/industry firsts.
In 2021, Komodo upgraded AtomicDEX, the Komodo core blockchain, and delayed Proof of Work (dPoW).
Our ecosystem welcomed new Komodo Smart Chains (Crypto Collider and Tokel), new branded DEXs (DogeDEX and GleecDEX), and the first ecosystem stablecoin and digital wealth creation platform (SmartFi). KMD was also listed on new exchanges (KuCoin, WazirX, and ONUS).
AtomicDEX Breakthroughs and Enhancements
Komodo developers added many new features, enhancements, and bug fixes in each AtomicDEX release this year. To quickly summarize a few of the top highlights:
- February 2021 – AtomicDEX v0.4.0 marked the Stable Beta milestone. This release implemented several new upgrades based on the December 2020 AtomicDEX stress test results.
- April 2021 – AtomicDEX v0.4.2 added protocol support for BEP-20 tokens as well as new wallet portfolio tracking enhancements and a professional trading mode for the DEX interface.
- May 2021 – AtomicDEX v0.4.3 added the BEP-20 InstaList feature, which enables any user to instantly list any BEP-20 token for non-custodial wallet storage and decentralized trading. AtomicDEX also supports the same functionality for ERC-20 tokens and QRC-20 tokens.
- September 2021 – AtomicDEX v0.5.0 added simple trading view to make it super easy to complete atomic swaps without having to interact with order books. This release also includes an update for Komodo AtomicDEX API and listed 20+ new assets.
- AtomicDEX developers are working on a variety of updates: hardware wallet support, native bot and liquidity provider trading API (create a trading bot or use the trading/LP bot in the upcoming WebDEX), integration of many new protocols and cryptocurrencies, native offline QTUM staking, and more!
Ecosystem Milestones and Industry Firsts
- February 2021 – Based on results from the 2020 AtomicDEX Stress Test, AtomicDEX reached stable beta status.
- March 2021 – Komodo completed the first atomic swap between Binance Smart Chain and a non-BEP20 chain.
- March 2021 – DogeDEX launched as the second decentralized exchange built on the AtomicDEX network. It reached 10,000 users only 10 days after launch.
- March 2021 – KMD coin launched on Binance Smart Chain (BSC), adding more use cases on Binance ecosystem DeFi applications.
- June 2021 – Beginning with Notary Node Season 5, Komodo switched from Bitcoin to Litecoin for cross-chain notarizations, saving 2.5 to 3 BTC monthly in transaction costs.
- July 2021 – SmartFi, an open lending platform powered by Komodo technology, raised over $10 million in the first two weeks of its SMTF token sale.
- July 2021 – Komodo published an announcement about planned KMD use cases.
- July 2021 – Developers added an automated testnet for dPoW and internal stratum Implementation for Komodo daemon.
- August 2021 – Tokel (TKL) completed the first-ever peer-to-peer initial DEX offering (IDO) on AtomicDEX. Using Komodo core technology, Tokel Platform is building a full-featured NFT platform with a token creation tool, digital wallet, and marketplace.
- August 2021 – Dubbed ‘ARRRtomic swaps’, Komodo successfully demonstrated the first shielded atomic swap between Komodo (KMD) and Pirate Chain (ARRR).
- September 2021 – AtomicDEX added simple trading view — a one-click interface with a smart trading engine and real-time price feed information that updates automatically.
- October 2021 – Komodo has officially joined the UTXO Alliance as the newest alliance partner! Other members of this organization include Cardano, IOHK, Ergo, Nervos, Topl, Alephium, and DigiByte.
- November 2021 – Komodo completed the first atomic swap between a mainchain and a sidechain, in this case between Bitcoin Cash (BCH) and their smartBCH sidechain. Tests show that smartBCH could reach up to 600x the throughput of Ethereum 1.0. This demonstrates why AtomicDEX is becoming the ultimate technology to help blockchain ecosystems in the pursuit of scalability.
- December 2021 – In collaboration with DigiByte, Komodo ran the first-ever AtomicDEX referral campaign with 354 users participating.